Advantages and Disadvantages of Email: Technology and Human Communication
Advantages and Disadvantages of Email
Email is just one of the types of electronic communication available to us.
12 Advantages and 6 disadvantages of email and other types of electronic communication.
In a work place, communication is extremely important. Employees are now luckily able to make use of the many advantages of email.
- It is very easy to communicate effectively with anybody within the office or anywhere in the world regardless of where they are situated.
- Another advantage of having business email communication at work is that you can respond to clients quickly and easily. This means that you no longer need to spend hours on the phone, trying to get through and leaving messages with receptionists.
- Messages can be sent quickly, in an instant.
- The cost of sending an email is very low, unlike postage and other methods of communication.
- It is easy to use, simply type the name of the recipient, a subject line and your message and click the send button.
- You can copy others on correspondence. You can even blind copy someone (BCC) if you don't want the recipient of the email to know that you are sending it to another person. A large number of people can be copied and communicated with at once.
- You can send attachments, such as photographs, files and spreadsheets.
- You can book appointments in other people's diaries. They can then accept or decline the appointment.
- Email saves time. No need to spend valuable time going to someone else's office.
- Emails can be responded to in your own time, when it is convenient for you. It is not invasive like a visitor or phone call which requires immediate attention.
- It speeds up the workflow process, documents can be sent for comment, corrections can be made quickly.
- Emailing saves paper and printing costs.
Disadvantages of email
Although there are a variety of advantages and disadvantages of email, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages by far.
Unfortunately the good always comes with the bad. Some of the disadvantages of email may be that your staff spends too much time on personal messages as opposed to work related stuff. This is the fundamental disadvantage to allowing employees email access.
However if a positive and trusting relationship is able to be maintained, between management and staff, then this could contribute to a more productive working environment, where employees can enjoy the many advantages of using email.
- Spam emails can be sent which can clutter your inbox.
- Email hoaxes.
- Viruses can be sent by email.
- Misunderstandings can occur if messages are not constructed properly.
- Not everyone has internet connectivity.
- Confidential information can be easily forwarded and disseminated and if done in error could easily end up in the wrong hands.
Use virus protection software to scan all emails to prevent spreading and receiving viruses.
Types of electronic communication
April fool email prank can result in hoax emails being sent that may contain viruses.
There are many benefits of the intranet.
There are many other advantages and disadvantages of email. The examples of advantages and disadvantages of email above are just a few of the many examples.