Admin Assistant Day and Other Employee Recognition Ideas
Recognize and show staff appreciation on Admin Assistant Day and other special days. Below is a list of list of special days to celebrate in the workplace plus 43 staff recognition ideas.
One of the most important communication tools in the workplace is employee recognition and employee engagement which rewards and reinforces the actions, outcomes and also the behaviors of the people in the company. Employee recognition can be effective and powerful when it is immediate and simple.
This recognition should be equally beneficial for the employee as well as the organization. The recognition should not only be seen as rewarding and motivating by the employees but also beneficial for your organization's success.
Important points to be taken into consideration for giving recognition on Admin Assistant Day:
- Determining what contribution or performance constitutes an action or behavior that is rewardable. Every employee of the company should be eligible for the reward/recognition. All those who successfully perform at the standard or level stated in the established criteria for recognition should receive the said reward. There should not be any delay in recognizing and rewarding the performance of the employee so that the reward/recognition will reinforce and encourage that particular behavior or action of the employee.
- It has been found that a process whereby the management selects certain people like "employee of the month" is not really effective because it is generally viewed as "favoritism". Recognition should be attached to goal achievements and accomplishments that have been decided upon in a meeting concerning performance development and planning.
- Recognition and rewards that are random and have an element of "surprise" are generally received favorably by employees. Care should be taken to see that "gifts" that are given regularly could be soon regarded as an "entitlement". Positive morale has to be built in the workplace. Therefore having recognition events that have an element of "fun" in them work well. Socials, day picnics, decorating shop windows and competitions have a way of bringing out the best in employees.
- Those employers who know how to bring out the best in their employees by recognizing and rewarding them are automatically in a "win-win" situation. To do this, avoid singling out certain employees who seem to be "mysteriously chosen" for recognition and avoid harming the morale of those who did not win because of failure to understand the criteria.
- Most employees feel that attention and praise from their bosses made them feel like the company truly cared about their well-being. Recognition from their supervisor ranked above prizes like money, gifts, events and benefits. Employee recognition is reinforced when it is accompanied by merchandise and other engraved plaques etc that has the company logo and appreciation certificates. These should be given to the deserving employee publicly.
- It is the duty of the company to promote opportunities that are equal for all their employees (at every level) regarding issues like race, color, age, gender or religious beliefs. Every employee likes to know that their freedom of "association" is respected by the employer. An employee that is compensated enough so as to meet his/her needs and has an opportunity to improve their own capabilities and skills will give their best in every area. A smart employer will know this and will express support by recognizing and rewarding such employees.
Simple appreciation by saying "Thank You" also counts as employee recognition, not just on admin assistant day. But, an employer can make employee recognition imaginative and elaborate as well. Admin Assistant Day is an opportunity to do this. Employee recognition increases employee satisfaction.
Admin Assistant Day is just one of the many special days celebrated in organizations throughout the world. It is observed on the Wednesday of the last full week of April.
Created in 1952, the day was started to urge people to pursue careers as administrative assistants. It was initially called Secretaries Day, and it was celebrated on June 4th. It was decided that the entire week of June 1-7 would be Secretary's Week. In recent years, it has been observed on the Wednesday of the last full week of April. Although the date and the name have changed, the purpose remains the same. Admin Assistants Day pays homage to those hard working men and women who help companies to run more smoothly.
Although some people like to say that an assistant is "just assistant", assistants are more than mere assistants. Many times, admin assistants end up working long hours to ensure that the company's clients have the best possible experience when they are conducting business. For so many administrative assistants, their duties do not end once they clock out. Many administrative assistants are more like personal assistants and they actually help their bosses organize different aspects of their bosses lives.
Since most offices have several administrative assistants, it would be fun to have a special lunch catered for the assistants for the entire week, or at least for Admin Assistants Day. If space permits, set up tables with fancy tablecloths and candles. It might also be fun to extend their lunch break by an extra half an hour and bring in a violin player to play while they enjoy their gourmet lunch. Show that they are truly appreciated.
Another popular way to acknowledge a hard working administrative assistant on Admin Assistants Day is to give them a singing telegram. These singing telegrams are fun.
Other special Admin Assistant Day gift include: flowers, candy, gift certificates, tickets to the symphony, dinner gift certificates, personalized mugs, salon and spa gift certificates, gift baskets, movie theater gift cards, manicure/pedicure certificates, mall gift cards, candles, tickets to a baseball game, concert tickets, etc. It is important to understand what types of things your assistant likes. Gifts are always more meaningful when the recipient is given something they will truly enjoy.
If it is at all possible, some supervisors do their best to give their admin assistants a paid day off during the course of Admin Assistants Day or Week. If it is too much of an inconvenience to give the assistant the day off, consider giving them an assistants to help them celebrate Admin Assistants Day. Since most assistants spend all of their time doing tasks for other people, they would be grateful if there was someone who could help them with their workload. It is important to choose someone who is experienced and works well under pressure. If the stand-in assistant is not qualified, it could actually make your admin assistants day very unproductive because they will have to spend all of their free time correcting mistakes that were made.
Administrative assistants are the oil the keeps the machine of the company running. It is important for bosses to work hard to not take them for granted, and tell them that they are appreciated throughout the year and not only on Admin Assistants Day.
See below for a list of some of the other days that can be celebrated in the workplace. These days can be used to build relations and goodwill in an organization. They can also be used to convey important workplace messages.
List of special days to celebrate in the workplace
Below are some gift suggestions for women for special days such as admin assistants day and women's day.
- Gift bag, pvc bag 22x9x7cm with fragrance, bath crystals, hand scrub and cream, face puff, wooden hair brush, cotton face towel
- Bright fun colored lunch lunch bags
- Hot muffins with butter and jam packs … for all the lunches never taken and for all the jams you got us out of
- Stainless steel mug or flask
- Usb cup warmer with card … so your coffee never goes cold again, while you do all that you do
- Notepad and pen - we take note of your hard work
- Keyring - for the key role in the success of the company - thank you
- Folders - organizer folder - zip around folder
- Show your appreciation with a take a break kit kat chocolate pack with company message and time management tips for multitasking women
- “Put your feet up, and have one on us”. Admin assistants day herbal tea/coffee pack with 6 tea bags in company branded outer
- Midi Survival Kit:
A Women's Day survival pack also for the multi-tasking working woman, but on a smaller scale.
Includes a to do list note pad, roll of rolo chocolates for all the roles you play, bubble bath sachet for time out to destress, and do not disturb door handle card. Eye drop ampoule to clear your vision, Headache tablet for a pounding head. Cotton wool to block out the droning. Energy bar to keep your energy levels up. Packed in a full color company branded pack.
- A mug with chocolates delectable chocolates, personalized tag
- Note: Digital printing on paper, cards etc can be done, but no branding on products due to time constraints
- Muffin in a packet with Women's Day message to be delivered for each woman. Something small but sweet that will surely be remembered and appreciated
- Mini choc pack, two quality chocolates in a pack with company branding and message
- An attractive fridge magnet pack with company branding, printed in full color. Magnets with slogan's created especially for women. One magnet to contain company logo and slogan or message.
- Goody bags, choose one of the following options
Goody Bag 1: The “hand bag”
“We've got to hand it to you"
Message from the company on a tag. Bag contents include: magazine, Radox Spa pack, hand and nail cream, Women's Day bookmark, Women's Day door knob tag, all in a brown bag with tissue paper
Goody Bag 2: The “pedi bag”
“Put your best foot forward for admin assistants day”
Message from the company on a tag,. Bag contents include: magazine
Radox Spa pack, foot cream, Women's Day bookmark, Women's Day door knob tag, all in a brown bag with tissue paper
Goody Bag 3: The “Me time” bag
“A little time for you, for all the time you give”
Message from the company on a tag. Bag contents include: magazine, Radox Spa pack, lavender massage oil, Women's Day bookmark, Women's Day door knob tag, all in a brown bag with tissue paper
- “Put your feet up, and have one on us”. A Women's Day herbal tea pack with 6 tea bags in company branded outer.
- A women's survival pack
Mini Survival Kit:
Crunchie chocolate, when it comes to the crunch we can count on you, bubble bath sachet for time out to destress, and do not disturb door handle card. Eye drop ampoule to clear your vision, lip ice for when you are tired of talking. Headache tablet for a pounding head and Chamomile tea bag to calm frayed nerves. Packed in a full color company branded pack.
- Midi Survival Kit:
A women's survival pack also for the multi-tasking working woman, but on a smaller scale.
Includes a to do list note pad with a time prioritization to do section with time planning tips, roll of rolo chocolates for all the roles you play, bubble bath sachet for time out to destress, and do not disturb door handle card. Eye drop ampoule to clear your vision, Headache tablet for a pounding head. Cotton wool to block out the droning. Energy bar to keep your energy levels up. Packed in a full color company branded pack. Ideal for Admin Assistants day.
- A branded mug containing delectable chocolates.
Includes one color print, additional charge for more colors.
- Hot air balloon ride including champagne breakfast and a flight certificate or hot air balloon ride with 1 night's accommodation breakfast and a flight certificate.
- Call center survival kits
- Call center public holiday activities
- Thanks for being on call, we can count on you... (use for Admin Assistants day and other opportunities to acknowledge staff)
- Message from senior manager, personally signed. Message will include the impact you can make - let us count the ways.
- Call center survival kit, or Admin Assistants day kit presented in a tin with outer label and tag
- Pack of cool mint chewing gum to keep your cool with impatient customers.
- Energy bar - keep your level of activity high
- Marshmallows - Mellow out and relax
- Crunchy cheddar bites - when it comes to the crunch we can count on you
- Fortune cookies with voucher in with a competition ticket of a movie ticket to relax.
- Other hamper items will be included.
- Leaflet with destress techniques and stretches to do at their workstation, wording will be personalized to company call center eg take a deep breath... breathing technique.
- Motivational sayings
- Thank you box of chocolates for their family
- Christmas hat
- Secret code attached to one hat with a winning prize
- Photographs will be taken with call center team for newsletter, they will wear hats and will be interviewed. They will be thanked in the article.
- Screensaver with thank you message will pop up onto screen at certain times.
- Notice on doors to the call center thanking them
- Tshirt and cap with on call slogan...we can count on you.